Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Proget Integrated Auth Mixes Machine Name with User Account

• I'm setting up integrated auth, and there's a directory where most of my users reside where they have a machinename that matches their login name. When I search for users in proget I can easily find them, however when I click OK to submit permissions update it shows their machine account instead.

example:

MyUser@domain.com returns as MYUSER$@domain.com.

How do I filter that out in my settings?

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

I'm sure we have asked you this before, but which LDAP user directory are you using?

Thanks,
    Rich

• Please excuse my delay, I accidentally caused myself AD issues that completely broke the server and made it so I could not go in and check my settings.

To answer your question, I'm using the Server directory where my servers reside, since they're in a different domain and network than the User Domain where the users reside. There's some crossover because I can look up principals in the other domain. Earlier this afternoon I was trying it out and I got one of the users to show up in the permissions screen, however when assigning permissions a few seconds later it reverted back to Machine Accounts.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

Do you have multiple LDAP directories configured?

Thanks,
    Rich

• I do not have multiple LDAP directories configured on my ProGet server. I only have the Server LDAP one configured.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

I didn't see this answer before, but are you using LDAP or Single Domain Active Directory (Legacy) or Active Directory (LDAP)?

Thanks,
    Rich

• I'm using Active Directory (LDAP). Within that configuration I only have 1 Domain listed, and only 1 DC hostname. There are not NetBios mappings, and I only have gMSA checked as an option. Search Mode is set to All Trusted Domains

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

This is really peculiar because we have an explicit filter on all of our LDAP queries to be a user, msDS-GroupManagedServiceAccount, or group. Does each user account have their own group managed service account?

Thanks,
    Rich

• I verified this with our IT department: user accounts do not have their own gMSA. When I test the search feature it shows me the correct user in the dropdown when I select options. Further testing shows that when I explicitly look for any machine name account, it fails to find it. Truly peculiar.

• inedo-engineer

Hello, we haven't seen this before, so it's a bit strange to diagnose.

Can you share exactly what version of ProGet you're using, as well as some screenshots showing the step-by-step? There are some subtle ways different things are displayed, and that might clue us in where to look next.

cheers,
    Alana

• Absolutely.

Im in the users and tasks menu adding a permission. Everything looks normal here. ecda5082-3220-4b77-a1c7-6c6cb7ea45d9-image.png

It adds my machine account instead after I click save. Does this for every user in that domain.
    8e1c26c1-d275-49ec-8c78-a0f2f1127222-image.png .

• inedo-engineer

Hoi @arozanski_1087,

Can you please tell us what version of ProGet you are running and also, can you please tell us what version of the InedoCore extension is installed on your ProGet instance?

Thanks,
    Rich

• Product Version: Version 5.3.15 (Build 2)
    Extension Version: 1.7.10

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

Thanks for sending that over. I took a look into the code and checked some things and I don't see anything that would look up the computer name. Can you look at the [Privileges] table in the ProGet database? Do the usernames include the $ in there also? Also, do you have any sort of reverse-proxy sitting in front of ProGet?

Thanks,
    Rich

• No Reverse-Proxy in front of my server.

RE: [Privileges]

My account is the only account in this user domain that I have explicitly specified, and it has a $ in the name.

Other data fields for my entry are as follows:

| PrincipalType_Code |  Role_Id | Feed_Id | PrivilegeType_Code | UserDirectory_Id |
    |G                   |    4     | NULL	  |  G 	               | 6                |

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume then that the PrincipalType_Code value means group account, as actual user accounts show up with code U, and the actual group accounts which contain the users I want to have in the various roles also show up as G.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

You are correct. G is for group or gMSA. The only thing that makes sense is that your AD has a group or a gMSA for your user account with the same name and it is return the group first. You could manually change the DB record to remove the $ and that should then work. But that is an annoying manual step. Can you please verify that the user you are testing with does not have a Group of gMSA named as AROZANSKI$ in AD?

Thanks,
    Rich

• @rhessinger absolutely. my IT team tells me no, and I am in AD looking at the account via Active Directory Users and computers and I do not find anything. I can confirm without a doubt that there isn't a gMSA for this user.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

I apologize for all the back and forth I'm struggling a bit to recreate this issue. I have even tried to just add a computer by searching it by name and I still cannot recreate this. Would you be able to perform a test search in the Advanced Settings of your Active Directory provider? Does that also return the computer accounts?

Thanks,
    Rich

• My searches were all done in the advanced search window, and that did not return computer accounts. I also tried in active directory to just look up computer accounts (instead of users) and couldn't return any.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

I think I may have finally tracked this issue down. Would you be able to manually install the Inedo Core 1.7.11-CI.1 extension and see if that fixes your issue? There is one spot that does not properly apply the user and group filter upon saving and I'm thinking I may have fixed it.

Thanks,
    Rich

• Trying to install it, but it causes this error when I load the web portal:

[InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'System.Byte[]' to type 'System.String'.]
       Inedo.Extensions.UserDirectories.Entry.ExtractGroupNames() +260
       Inedo.Extensions.UserDirectories.ActiveDirectoryUser.IsMemberOfGroup(String groupName) +120
       System.Linq.WhereArrayIterator`1.MoveNext() +71
       System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) +492
       System.Linq.<GetEnumerator>d__1.MoveNext() +116
       System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) +281
       System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray(IEnumerable`1 source) +90
       System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary`2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func`2 valueFactory) +87
       Inedo.ProGet.Web.Security.TaskChecker.FindPrivilege(IUserDirectoryUser user, ScopedTask& scopedTask) +42
       Inedo.Security.UserContext.CanPerformTask(ScopedTask& task) +162
       Inedo.ProGet.WebApplication.Security.WebUserContext.IsAuthorizedForTask(ProGetSecuredTask task, Nullable`1 feedId) +199
       Inedo.ProGet.WebApplication.Pages.RootPage.CreateTopPanel() +1006
       Inedo.ProGet.WebApplication.Pages.<CreateChildControlsAsync>d__2.MoveNext() +871
       System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw() +31
       System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) +60
       Inedo.ProGet.WebApplication.Pages.<InitializeAsync>d__10.MoveNext() +621
       System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task) +60
       Inedo.Web.PageFree.<ExecutePageLifeCycleAsync>d__46.MoveNext() +234
       Inedo.Web.PageFree.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__45.MoveNext() +240
       System.Web.TaskAsyncHelper.EndTask(IAsyncResult ar) +59
       Inedo.Web.Handlers.AsyncHandlerWrapper.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +33
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +648
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStepImpl(IExecutionStep step) +213
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +131

I've rolled it back by deleting the .upack file i added to the /Extensions folder and restoring the one I had put in the recycle bin, but I'm still facing this error.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

Did you restart IIS or the Integrated Web Server after copying the upack file back? Also, did your upack file have a version number in the name? Or was it just InedoCore.upack? I doubt this, but can you navigate directly to /administration/extensions? Could you also take a screen shot of the files in the Extensions folder?

Thanks,
    Rich

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

You can also try flipping back to the Built-in User Directory by reseting the base admin account. You won't lose any AD users you have setup, it just simply switches ProGet to use the Built-in directory and resets the Admin password back to Admin.

Thanks,
    Rich

• I restarted both the service and the IIS webserver after I rolled it back. When I found that did not fix the issue I kicked the OS entirely.
    • My upack file name that I installed matched what you had me download off of that feed.
    • Extensions Page in the UI:
      24be8ee1-45b7-4b5c-8894-69f11b856d88-image.png
    • Extensions folder on the VM: 09c03c39-7d6e-4201-be98-58dd9204aed9-image.png

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

Glad a reboot of the OS fixed it. Can you try renaming the downloaded version to InedoCore.upack. I noticed ProGet gave me some issues installing the extension manually when leaving the version number on there.

Thanks,
    Rich

• @rhessinger --
    I did forget to add: I was able to resolve it all after I reset the admin password and reset the services. Once logged in It prompted me to clear cookies for my name account since I am the only one that's been using it.

I have done ask you asked in your last reply. It looks as though renaming the file to just be InedoCore.upack is the solution.

I have since logged back into my instance of Proget and re-enabled LDAP using an administrative service account. From there, it sent be back to the login, where I logged in as myself. In the Permissions page for users and groups, I have added a user in the directory where the users reside, and can confirm that his username does NOT get replaced with his MACHINEACCOUNT$ object. Testing on a few other users seems to indicate that the issue is solved.

Thank you very much for your help.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @arozanski_1087,

That's great! I'm sorry it took this long to get this working. Thanks for working with me to figure this out! I'm going to make a change to the documentation right now to include the requirement of naming the extension file. I will also get a full release of this extension out today so it will lock in that version with the ProGet release tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Rich

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation