Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Otter Bugs

• I think Otter is the most underrated application of the Inedo family and is solving a real problem for us. Ansible Puppet blar blar but both far too heavy for what we need.

That being said I've noticed a couple of bugs unless I'm being silly:

1. It's possible to rename a script and lose its extension. When you lose its extension there's no way to rename it unless you manually copy and paste the link from a working script and change the URL parameter to reflect the wrongly renamed script. Instead the script is no longer clickable and therefore not editable.

2. You can create a folder for scripts but there's absolutely no way to move existing scripts into them or navigate through the tree from the script view. You have to use the raft repository browser. Instead the service constantly produces an error that it is an unknown script - of course, it's a folder!

3. The status of servers on the overall environments page doesn't cascade up. For example parent ANIMALS with child environments DONKEYS, HORSES and CHICKENS will show current status for donkey. Horse and chicken individually whilst ANIMALS remains No Servers.

4. The scripts take too long from generation to be available in the desired configuration. The work around of course is to go to administration, service status and click run now on all the jobs. But this is annoying. Whatever job kicks off that availability of scripts in the desired configuration should be run straight after a script.

Please can these be sorted for the next release?

• inedo-engineer

Hi @OtterFanboy ,

Thank you for the feedback :)

I've added items for [1] OT-480 and [4] OT-481, they seem relatively easy changes.

Can you send a screenshot for [3], so we can better visualize what your environment page looks like? It would be helpful to see this page with real-data, since our test data typically doesn't use nested environments.

Regarding [2], folders were a late addition to Otter 2022, and unfortunately the functionality is quite limited (i.e. move didn't get added in). This omission is annoying, but a lot of times Git-based rafts are used, and it's easy to move files in Git. We would definitely like to add this, but it's not trivial... because we need to do different operations for Git-based rafts. Otherwise, I logged the analyzer error as a bug (OT-482) because they shouldn't issue an error.

I will discuss with the team when we can prioritize these issues. If it's really easy, maybe we can do it in next maintenance release window.

Cheers,
    Alana

• Please see attached screenshot.

Nested.PNG

I imagined the Windows server would roll up to "Drifted" as would "Core Servers".

• inedo-engineer

@OtterFanboy got it, thanks!

So this particular change is a bit more involved unfortunately. For example, if you clicked on "Windows Server", you wouldn't find any drifted servers - which would be confusing, because the environment would show as drift.

I'll note this as something to think about for v2023

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation