Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

[OTTER]Gitlab Secure Ressource gone

• Hi,
    I can't create a gitlab secure resource :(

8108b6a8-c8f6-42d3-b8fc-bf40933a3f4f-image.png

From a previous 2023 version, it was possible :(

Gitlab extension is installed

Any help is welcome
    Best regards
    PhilippeC.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @philippe-camelio_3885,

I didn't realize it was possible to create those in Otter 😅

I thought only Generic Git repositories work. There's no GitLab/Github/etc.-specific functionality available in Otter, those are primarily intended for BuildMaster's integrations.

I would just use Generic Git repository, since the Git-base doperations will all be the same.

Cheers,
    Alana

• @atripp said in [OTTER]Gitlab Secure Ressource gone:

I would just use Generic Git repository, since the Git-base doperations will all be the same.

😬 This was possible from in Otter 3

9983cef4-7fc5-4c0d-954b-8fd7ef3e0c83-image.png

I tried to create a Generic Git, but it always asks me for a $commit, 😦

d8d7dc63-72da-4a46-86d8-b987e48096ca-image.png

My script

Git::Checkout-Code
        (
            To: $DossierVisHab,
        );

Git Ressource :
    57095cd2-197f-4e85-8c72-e91502329347-image.png

Any advice ?

• @philippe-camelio_3885

Small question, why don't you use the same extension for both Otter and BM ?

• inedo-engineer

Hi @philippe-camelio_3885 ,

In BuildMaster 2022, we redesigned the Git and Source Control experience, which required significant changes to the various Git extensions (Git, GitHub, GitLab, and AzureDevOps).

With these changes, instead of using service-specific operations like GitHub::Get-Source, you can simply use operations like Git::Checkout-Code. Behind the scenes, BuildMaster wires everything up using build variables like $Repository and $Commit.

In Otter, you'll need to specify those variables or To and BranchOrCommit properties, similar to this:

(
        BranchOrCommit: master,
     );

The extensions are indeed the same between BuildMAster and Otter, but they do different things than before. Now, the GitLab extension mostly just provides integration into Issue Tracking, and information intended for the BuildMaster UI, such as a list of organizations, repositories, etc.

Best,
    Alana

• @atripp said in [OTTER]Gitlab Secure Ressource gone:

(
    BranchOrCommit: master
    );

Thanks for the explanation.
    I made a new test with your suggestion but I still have the same error message.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @philippe-camelio_3885,

Without looking closer or testing it's hard to say, but that error sounds like the property isn't being set? You can see rom the the source code of Git::Checkout-Code, the BranchOrCommit argument (called Objectish in the code) will use DefaultValue of $commit unless a property is specified .

I guess just as a test, does set $commit = master make any difference?

Thanks,
    Alana

• Hello @atripp

New error :
    92af092a-dc3c-47d9-bb9c-435557344a62-image.png
    Code:

Vishab
    {
        set $DossierVisHab = c:\maestro\scripts\powershell\vishab;

set $commit = master;

Ensure-Directory $DossierVisHab;

(
        BranchOrCommit: master,
     );
    }

I really like Otter, but with each major version too many functions change or broken, it's frustrating 😥

Migration is a lot of work, we have to retest every otter script we have done.

Best regards
    PhilippeC.

• inedo-engineer

Hi @philippe-camelio_3885 ,

We'll investigate/fix this via OT-507 in an upcoming Otter release. I suspect it's related to the SDK changes that came out of BuildMaster 2023; we do not test Git with Otter, so it's not surprising it doesn't work.

I really like Otter, but with each major version too many functions change or broken, it's frustrating 😥

Yeah same here; unfortunately we're struggling with "product market fit" so the product is going through changes and

The first versions (v1/v2) were designed as an improvement on the "desired state" concepts from Puppet, Chef, DCS, etc. But the whole "Infrastructure as Code" market never really "took" on Windows. And obviously "no one" uses IaC on Linux anymore thanks to Docker.

In the next versions (v3), we repositioned Otter to be "PowerShell job/script runner" and "compliance as code". This is how most customers used the product, so it seemed like there was a market there. That broke a lot of DSC stuff that hardly anyone used (sadly!)

Very open to ideas on where to take Otter; I think security/compliance monitoring is maybe the right direction, but if that's the case, we need to figure out how to get a lot more pre-built code/scripts in Otter.

• Hi @apxltd
    Thanks for the answer.
    Please, don't give up Otter, it is the most efficient and simple tool to manage scripts from a single point for both Windows and Linux.

Best regards
    PhilippeC.

• inedo-engineer

@philippe-camelio_3885 thank you, I appreciate that! No plans to give up -- it's a passion of mine, and I feel someday we'll figure out a better product marketing fit :)

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation