Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Create Feed via API Timeout

• Hi,
    I'm creating a new feed via the API:

$headers = @{
    'Content-Type' = 'application/json'
    'x-apikey' = $apiKey
    }
    $body = @{
    name = $FeedName
    feedType = $FeedType
    active = 'true'
    }

$params = @{
        Uri     = "https://proget-dev/api/management/feeds/create"
        Method  = 'POST'
        Body    = ($body | ConvertTo-Json)
        Headers = $headers
    }

Invoke-RestMethod @params

This returns the error:
    Execution Timeout Expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    The statement has been terminated.

The POST looks correct since if i change the api-key to something that does not have rights it return 403 forbidden

Is there anything to check whats going on here?

thanks

• Hi,
    Which platform do you use ? Windows or Docker.
    We use Docker and we have timeout on inedo apps (mainly Otter) when using api.

Have you try 2 times in a row your command ?
    It sounds weird, but for us, the second time it worked ...

Cordially
    PhilippeC.

• Using windows server and IIS
    Only using Proget

Trying twice in a row does not work either

IIS logs show error http 500
    /api/management/feeds/create - 443 - ip-address Mozilla/5.0+(Windows+NT+10.0;+Microsoft+Windows+10.0.22631;+en-US)+PowerShell/7.4.1 - 500 0 0 30006

FYI
    The List API works fine
    GET /api/management/feeds/list

• inedo-engineer

Hi @forbzie22_0253 ,

(Sorry this is basically a copy/paste of the same answer to @philippe-camelio_3885 's question)

We haven't run into any of these issues in our testing, but this error is a "generic database timeout", which is implying that "something" is going on with the database. That's the only information we have, "something".

To troubleshoot this, you'll need to use some of SQL Server's performance/activity monitoring tools to spot what's going on at the time. It could be anything from outdated statistics to a missing index to a bad query. Or who knows.

With ProGet, timeouts can happen during extremely high usage of feeds/server. We have also seen instances where SQL Server's auto-statistics aren't working, and rebooting the server will help -- you can try running sp_UpdateStatistics as well. I have never seen that personally, but two users reported this already.

Best,
    Alana

• Just to close this thread off.

I tried below but no joy:
    Rebooting server several times
    Server is not under any load
    All other feed related API's worked fine
    Re-installed proget

Resolved:
    Re-installed proget and re-created DB

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation