Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

[ProGet] Feature Request: Visual Studio Code - private Extension Gallery

• Hello inedo-Team,

as we're using heavily ProGet for development we also use heavily VS Codium.
    Therefore we would like to be able to use our own private Extension Gallery to make use of the wonderful possibilites given by extensions. Also we want to be able to use our own-developed Extensions more intense across our teams.
    At the moment we have to make it "the manual way" for internal usage of extensions: download vsix, upload to an internal vsix-feed on proget and then the developers have to download it from there again and install it manually.
    It would be absolutely awesome to be able to use proget as an internal gallery for our vs code using developers but we couldn't figure out how.
    We would like to set our own gallery as described here: https://github.com/VSCodium/vscodium/blob/master/docs/index.md#how-to-use-a-different-extension-gallery
    Unfortunately proget-vsix-feeds seem to not provide the required endpoints (or we didn't find out how :) )
    Could you please add that feature or provide a guide how to set up?

Thanks!
    Sebastian

• inedo-engineer

Hi @sebastian-lieschke_5424 ,

Thanks for the request; this is something that is close to requesting a new feed type, so I'll use that rubric to decide.

As we wrote in that link, new feeds can be very time-consuming to research, develop, document, maintain, etc. Like with all software, even estimating the cost is costly - so we can't really even begin the initial research until there's sufficient demand or market opportunity to justify the possible investment.

To be honest, I don't see there being much demand or any market opportunity for this. Time will tell, and maybe someone will comment on this in the future. But for now this seems really niche.

That being said - I took a quick look at the document you linked, and I don't see API docs (i.e. those missing endpoints you mentioned). Maybe it's something as simple as a basic JSON document. Maybe it's an absurdly complex and undocumented API.

However, if you can figure how the API works, and it turns out to be something like a simple JSON/XML index file.... and you can prototype/fake that using a static file inside of a ProGet Asset Directory... then we can likely implement that quite easily.

I know that's how RPM and Helm Chart feeds got started long ago :)

Alex

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation