Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Feature Suggestion - Repackaging for Helm Charts

• I am currently building out my CI/CD pipeline for Kubernetes. One of the things I am currently doing is making a process to repackage a prerelease Helm Chart as a release version and promote it to a release feed. To accomplish that, I am doing this:

1. Download a Helm Chart
    2. Update its version numbers (a Helm Chart has 2 version numbers), and Image Tag (which for me is the same as the version number.) Basically, I am converting the version numbers from pre-release (ie 2.0.3-build.12) to release version numbers (ie 2.0.3)
    3. Upload the chart into a new feed.

As I was working on that, I noticed an Repackaging API. Looking into it, it seems it is very similar to what I am doing, but it is intended for NuGet and universal feeds only.

This is not a "Feature Request" (because even if you made it, I will not need it by the time you get done). But I thought I would throw it out there as a possible suggestion to add value to ProGet. (The only real concern I could see is if the packages were signed, then you would need access to the Key to re-sign them.)

• inedo-engineer

Hey @Stephen-Schaff ,

We'd love to expand repackaging to more feed types! It's still a pretty new concepts, and not too many folks understand the value of the process/feature.

The main thing that ProGet adds is the audit-trail -- basically metadata added to do the package itself, so the "history" lives with it. Plus this way, you don't have to reproduce that download/repack/reupload process over and over again.

Any suggestions on where to add this to the chart? I think we just inject a basic file in the NuGet package, maybe that would work in Helm as well?

Cheers
    Steve

• I think you can just add a file to the chart at the root level. But I am not a helm expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I am going to be doing some helm testing soon(ish). I will try to add in a random file and see if Helm/Kubernetes just ignores it when I do an install.

• inedo-engineer

@Stephen-Schaff let us know! If that works, then we can just inject that in the package, and read it in on the history page, similar to this NuGet package:

https://proget.inedo.com/feeds/NuGetLibraries/Inedo.ExecutionEngine/100.1.1/history

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation