Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Sequential Deployable Execution

• I had a 1 hour demo with some of your support engineers regarding how to configure Buildmaster given our specific release process. The suggestion was to make each component of our system a deployable within a Master application and then each release of that Master application would push the subset of deployables that we needed deployed for that particular project. My question is, is there any way to enforce a sequential deployment when doing a release of several deployables? I was told that the deployables deploy in parallel, but there will be times where I will need Deployable A to deploy before Deployable B. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Product: BuildMaster
    Version: 4.3.10

• The "Deploy Build of Other Application(s)" allows you to choose one application, an application group, or all dependent applications.

If you need things to execute in a certain, serial order, then use the "single application" option and use multiple "Deploy Build" actions, in the order you desire.

• So, if I need to support sequential execution of deployment steps, there is really no way to do that using the Master Application with deployables solution that was suggested to me by your engineers? It sounds like I would need to make each of these deployables its own application and then use the features you mention to pull them in to another application and arrange them in the order that they need to deploy. Is that correct?

• Well, let's take a step back... we're talking about managing chained builds & deployments, not individual actions in a deployment plan.

Let's say you have MasterApp and Child1, Child2, Child3. Each Child app has it's own set of deployment plans that do their own things. When built/deployed, each child application will run its own deployment plan, and deploy to its own server as it was configured.

If, in MasterApp, you have an action that says "build all dependent applications", then BuildMaster will do exactly that, in an unspecified order. The child apps will all be deployed at once.

If you want to control the order that this gets done, then you cannot say "build all". You will instead need to have separate actions like "build Child2", "build Child1", then "build Child3".

Does that make sense?

• Yes, I believe that does make sense. If I want to be able to control order of execution, it sounds like I should turn my deployables into their own separate child applications. Then I can specify order of deployment of each child application within whatever "master" application I am deploying.

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation