Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Proget as registry proxy

• I'm trying to use the Proget Docker registry as proxy to a docker daemon running on another machine

docker run -d --restart=always -p 5000:5000 --name docker-registry-proxy -v pwd/config.yml:/etc/docker/registry/config.yml registry:2

here is the config.yml
    version: 0.1
    log:
    fields:
    service: registry
    storage:
    cache:
    blobdescriptor: inmemory
    filesystem:
    rootdirectory: /var/lib/registry
    http:
    addr: :5000
    headers:
    X-Content-Type-Options: [nosniff]
    health:
    storagedriver:
    enabled: true
    interval: 10s
    threshold: 3
    proxy:
    remoteurl: https://ip_of_the_proget:443/
    username: api
    password: some_password

If i try to get a new image
    docker pull nginx for example

I get following error in the registry docker

level=error msg="response completed with error" err.code="manifest unknown" err.detail="unknown tag=latest" err.message="manifest unknown"

Question:
    Does the ProGet works as registry docker image proxy ?

• inedo-engineer

Hi @aharalambopoulos_3520 ,

ProGet works as a "Private Docker Registry" which seems to be different than a "Docker Hub Mirror".

Last time we researched Docker Hub Mirrors, they seemed to be primarily intended to provide image to certain geographic regions (like China) where Docker Hub content would otherwise be restricted. They could also be used to set up a "local mirror" of Docker Hub, but in all cases, it seemed to basically just redirect traffic from the default docker.io URL (or whatever) - so it wasn't intended to be used as "Private Docker Registries".

In any case, Mirrors don't seem to be a good fit for ProGet; instead, if you wish to use nginx, we would advise to "privatizing" and "lock" images using sematic tag, so that you can be assured that corp.local/images/nginx is a tested/safe image with tags you control.

Best,
    Steve

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation