Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Application Names

• I'm just wondering if there's a best practice for naming applications in BuildMaster. Do people tend to name the BuildMaster application to match their solution name exactly, namespace and all (we're a .NET shop)?

For instance, we have a solution named "AbcCorp.AwesomeSolution" that contains projects like "AbcCorp.Services" and "AbcCorp.Workflows". Do we name the application "AbcCorp.AwesomeSolution" and configure one deployable per project, or something more friendly like "Awesome Solution"? Are there any benefits or drawbacks to one approach vs. the other?

Product: BuildMaster
    Version: 4.1.2

• In general, we recommend going with a "business context friendly" name for your application. There are several reasons for this, but it mostly goes back to the fact that it's a lot easier to share/consume friendly names.

There are times, however, when it makes sense to match name/code/scm/etc., and this is usually when there's a "conventions" approach. For example, our extensions (see BuildMaster Implementation Specifics) use the application name to determine a lot. But this usually only makes sense when you have a lot of "cookie cutter" componentized applications (such as in our case).

So for your example, I would say name it "Awesome", and then have multiple deployables within that application. I wouldn't use the word "solution" unless it's actually part of the business name. For us, the application name is "BuildMaster" not "BuildMaster Solution"... even though our codebase has a "BuidMasterSolution" folder and a "BuildMasterUbserSolution.sln" file.

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation