Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

ProGet: Feature Request: Promoted/Repackaged flag on package listing

• When I'm looking at a package's version list in the ProGet UI,
    I would love to see a little icon or flag on an entry if that version has been promoted or repackaged,
    So I know right away that that has happened,
    Without having to dig into the history, potentially finding nothing.

thanks!
    max

• inedo-engineer

Hi @mcascone !

Interesting idea . just brainstorming here :)

Can you share the workflow you're thinking? Like... why do you want to know that a package was repackaged/promoted?

For example...

• I already know that a -rc.xyz version has been repackaged, because we only creat -ci.xyz versions.
    • I already know that a package has been promoted, because that's the only way these packages are in a feed

... so this information isn't so helpful to me. Unless a mistake was made, only promoted packages are only in certain feeds, and all packages go through same workflow (repackaging).

Thoughts off the top of my head...

• Promotion records exist in the database, so perhaps easier to show
    • Repackaging records are inside the package (I think), so maybe harder to show

Cheers,
    Steve

• Hi, thanks for the ideas. At least in our process, we really only have three happy-path steps:

1. a pre-release package is published into the dev feed with a version 1.2.3-branchname-weightedprereleasenumber.
    2. That package is deployed to all lower environment tiers, eventually being QA/UAT passed and ready to ship.
    3. The package is Repackaged as 1.2.3 and promoted into the prod feed, to be released into Production.

What i'd like to see is a little up-arrow or similar UI 'hint' on the version's row in the package's main version list that it has been repackaged and/or promoted into another feed. So if i'm looking for a package in the dev feed to see which one's been promoted, i don't have to dig into the metadata or history of every version to find it - i just look in the main list.

Extra bonus points for putting the version and feed it was promoted/repackaged to in the hover-text of the UI hint!

You're right that the info is available in the package record json, the history in the UI, and the package metadata, it's just a hassle to have to dig into them in each version to find whether or not it even exists.

Let me know if i can clear anything else up!

• inedo-engineer

Thanks @mcascone , I also added this to our "Promotion / Repackaging Visibility & Permissions Rethinking" task - sounds like something we can consider :)

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation