Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Support for Conan feeds/packages

• I'd love to see support for Conan, the C/C++ package manager.
    Our company mainly works on embedded software (which is where Conan comes in to play), but we also develop some accompanying desktop apps every now and then using C# (for which we want to have a NuGet feed).

There is an open source implementation of a Conan server available and both Artifactory and Sonatype (via an open source plugin) have support for these kind of packages/feeds.

• inedo-engineer

Hi Arno,

Are you actually using Conan?

I've talked with a lot of users over the years about C/C++ development, and the emergence of Conan, and after a careful evaluation, not a single user opted to not use it due to the complexity it adds. Some instead switched to NuGet (which supports C++), and others just use UPack / Universal Packages.

So far as I can tell (I'm not a C/C++ developer), the big challenge is that Conan "wants to be" a cross-platform open source hub (like the NuGet.org of C/C++), but C/C++ isn't cross-platform, and there's no real standardization in how you configure C/C++ project, so the Conan platform has to jump through a lot of hoops to make it work.

From my understanding, you need to make "recipes" that are like a kind of installation script, and these are written in Python (??), and executed using Bash. So, on Windows, that many more steps to follow.

Another problem I heard was development environments vs target environments. Like how you can code on Windows, but your target is embedded something, so it adds a whole new layer of complexity. I also remember something about, building from source vs libraries, and how it was a lot of work to get it to work the way you want.

Our customers had zero interest in taking open source packages from the Conan's public repository; it was only for their own, internal-use packages.

Again... this is all second-hand for me, so, if you have more insight please add it.

• This post is deleted!

• inedo-engineer

This post is deleted!

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation