Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

SCM Trigger for TFS

• I recently upgraded to BM 5.8.3 and while trying to setup a new project which should trigger off a TFS check-in, I found the SCM trigger option missing from the advanced/trigger menu. I have been unable to locate any posts of why this trigger is missing but noticed it was a checkable box in the admin setting console (which when checked did not show the trigger either).

If this trigger has been removed, what is the suggested route for triggering a new package based on a TFS check-in or is there a better way? If this trigger has not been removed, what are the application pre-requisites required for it to show up?

Product: BuildMaster
    Version: 5.8.3

• inedo-engineer

To be honest, "SCM Triggers" are in a "quasi-legacy" state, because they use the "Legacy Providers". As such, we don't list it as a feature, and we hide the button on installations without SCM Providers configured. This was done slowly over the course of two years, in various v5 versions, to gauge user reaction.

So, your inquiry is good feedback. That being said, we have not yet put a lot of effort into properly redesigning this feature. The reason for this, is that the "general direction" has been moving towards post-commit hooks; i.e. triggering the build from the SCM server, once a merge request (or something?) happens. Even on dedicated CI tools, the preference is shifting towards this route. I think this is because the branching logic has been too complicated to follow (even for really advanced CI servers like Jenkins and TC).

So I wonder, have you looked into post-commit hooks?

Otherwise, we are definitely considering a general-purpose poll/trigger feature: basically, a poll will periodically occur, and if a condition is met, trigger some sort of event. This would be shared across multiple products, and the usecases might vary based on the product.

One motivation to develop this feature is that it will allow us to really feature the "BuildMaster is from source to production" story, which is becoming more popular again. Most people didn't want that, but now the pendulum is swinging back to it, now that source code tools (like Git) are integrating (totally inadequate) build/release features.

In any case, none of this is all that "immediate", but I wanted to share reasoning to you about this, and solicit your feedback.

Of course, if you need to create "legacy components" we can help you do that as well. We don't plan on removing those from BUildMaster, just hiding them so no new users can access them.

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation