Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

How do I connect to a remote SQL instance, using IIS with Proget

• Hello,

I am having difficulty to access proget page when changing connection string to connect to a remote SQL server we have.

When using " Data Source=MSR-TG-PKG01\ProGet; Initial Catalog=ProGet; Integrated Security=SSPI " , which is the default setting, I have no issues, the proget server works fine.

When I try "Server=[Server name];Database=[DB name];User ID=[Username];Password=[Password]"

I get following error : [SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot open database "tg_proget" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'sql_tg_proget'.]
    Cannot open database "tg_proget" requested by the login. The login failed.
    Login failed for user 'sql_tg_proget'.

The login works fine, I have tested it through SQL Server 2014 and can login to the database so the issue is not there.

I am suspecting either I'm missing a configuration within IIS or within Proget.

Thanks for your help!

Product: ProGet
    Version: 4.3.1

• That error message is coming directly from your remote SQL Server, and it can mean several different things:

• wrong password is specified for sql_tg_proget on that server
    • the tg_proget database does not exist on that server
    • the sql_tg_proget user does not have access to tg_proget on that server
    • SQL Authentication is disabled on that server, or another setting is preventing the application from logging in to the database using that name/password; for security purposes, SQL Server does not log these reasons to the client

In this situation, your connection string needs to be modified to either point to the correct server, and/or use the correct username, password, and database, or the sql server needs to be configured to permit that connection string.

There is no other configuration required (or even possible) on the application side to connect to the database. Only the connection string.

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation