Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Can Otter Jobs be Triggered by Something Like Jenkins?

• I've been scanning through the Otter documentation and definitely interested in trying it out soon. We use Jenkins to orchestrate our build deployments, so it seems like it would be great to slide Otter into the middle of those deployment jobs to provision an environment. What I'm missing in the docs is if the jobs in Otter can be triggered by a script of some sort. For ex. is there a URL equivalent of a "Kick Me Now" button in Otter? Is it be possible, through some sort of scripting, for a Jenkins job to launch and wait for an Otter job to finish?

• Hi, great question; yes, that would be doable through the API, but we're still putting the final touches on that.

The "full API" would necessarily expose the entire complex model that's used behind the scenes (e.g. differentiating between jobs, job templates, and executions, etc), which from our experience is a real pain to work with, because it requires you to become experts of the domain model. Then you have to authenticate to it, etc.

So, perhaps we'll also have a more intuitive API that looks a lot more like the web interface, and exactly like you said, has a simple url for a "kick me now" button of sorts.

In the mean time, i'd definitely check it out to see how close it is to your requirements, and we would be happy to work with you to get a PoC going. It's still 1.0, but that's how we improve and get to 2.0 and so forth :)

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation