Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Getting HTTP 500.30 ASP.NET Core error when launching local IIS ProGet website connecting to a remote DB

• Hi,

I am trying to connect a local 2022.11 IIS ProGet instance to a remote MSSQL express ProGet DB. The remote ProGet DB, local website, App Pool, and service are all running as the same user. That user is also the owner of the ProGet DB. I can successfully connect to the remote ProGet DB with SS Management Studio. I use the connection string 'Data Source=<DB_Server>\Inedo;Initial Catalog=ProGet;Integrated Security=True' when trying to load the local ProGet website and I get the error 'HTTP Error 500.30 - ASP.NET Core app failed to start' with no entries in the Event Viewer.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott

• inedo-engineer

Hi @scusson_9923,

Did this instance of ProGet work before you changed the connection string? I.e., if you point to a local database, then it works okay?

Or, is this the first time you're trying to use ProGet on this machine?

thanks,
    Alana

• Hi Alana,

Yes. Local connection was successful. I am in the process of setting up 2 web instances. I was able to resolve this issue after I noticed that a couple of SQL Server services on the DB server were installed as disabled by default (browser\agent). However, I am having issues when setting up the second instance. When I try to load the ProGet website, I get a "HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable." message in the browser and in the Event Viewer I see: "The Module DLL C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\aspnetcore.dll failed to load. The data is the error." This machine may be in a bad state as this seems to be a red herring. I'm tempted to have this machine rebuilt unless you have additional pointers :)

Thanks!
    Scott

• inedo-engineer

Hi Scott,

Glad you could resolve it; definitely a strange error, I would have expected a better one than just 500.30.

How did you install ProGet? Using the Inedo Hub?

"The Module DLL C:\Windows\system32\inetsrv\aspnetcore.dll failed to load. The data is the error" -- this sounds like a sort of internal error, caused by the .NET6 hosting bundle not being installed, or not installed properly.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/core/host-and-deploy/iis/hosting-bundle

The Inedo Hub will install this when you install/upgrade to v2022.

Thanks,
    Steve

• Hi,

Just to update this issue. I ended up having to remove, clean up, and reinstall IIS\ProGet. After that, the default ProGet instance loaded successfully. Thanks for all of your input.

Scott

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation