Welcome to the Inedo Forums! Check out the Forums Guide for help getting started.

If you are experiencing any issues with the forum software, please visit the Contact Form on our website and let us know!

Python Conda Channels Support

• It would be great to get support for conda packages, as the standard PyPI python packages are not really usable in an enterprise environment

https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/

EDIT (from @apxltd): Conda Channels are now in Beta!

• inedo-engineer

I spent a bit of time looking into CONDA, and here's my take.

According to the documentation, "in its default configuration, conda can install and manage the over 7,500 packages at repo.anaconda.com that are built, reviewed, and maintained by Anaconda®."

This leads me to believe that the primary use case for Conda is to gain access to the curated package repository for data scientists that use the Anaconda development platform.

One of the major value propositions of ProGet is that it gives you the ability to curate free and open-source packages... so I don't see how ProGet will help? I could be wrong... but I'd really want to see some market demand or more customer demand for this before we consider investing engineering resources.

While it seems that Conda could also be used for other cases (they say "it was created for Python programs, but it can package and distribute software for any language"), the documentation is almost entirely focused on the primary use case.

If you're using Conda in it's second usecase (as a sort of generic package system), ProGet already has Universal Packages built in. These were created for first-party application and components (first and foremost), so they will likely be much more suitable than the secondary case of Conda

• We would benefit from this feature too! One of the biggest challenges that we have is that whilst Anaconda does have the packages available, a key problem in every business I worked at is that we have to manually copy down the packages in the same way we do for Nuget packages (I have a mixed language team).
    Have always been keen to have this available in Proget, currently we download and then have to 'conda index'. There is also a drop in value vs. Proget's nuget package management.

• inedo-engineer

Thanks for the additional info... I definitely appreciate the desire for consistency in package management.

we have to manually copy down the packages

Why is this? Is there a sort of internet restriction policy in your build environment?

What do you mean by "drop in value"... is it like, "we already have ProGet, and it would save X amount of time to not have to create/manage a separate, private Conda repository"?

• Apologies for the delay! The reason for the manual copy down has been because of restriction policies like the internet, but then when we have tried to build some sort of tool for it, it becomes quite messy to maintain and manage over time - some developers started to add 'features' that were specific for their project but not for the wider company and it gets out of control the wider the usage across the company... at least from my experience.

One core problem for me too is the package management anyway, what we want is to have a gateway to ensure that we can run a scan and control the packages coming into use by developers, again this is where Anaconda is too unrestricted for us because any dev can pickup a package, put it into a channel and then it becomes available to a wider audience which is not ideal.

Yes for "drop in value" correct, it would save us a considerable amount of time. Not only do we have to deal with 100's to 1000's of packages, but we also have multiple versions of Python and different applications running on different versions. Additionally we have internally built packages (which sometimes are sensitive to a particular team or we need to run a black duck test on it) and these are made available to a wider audience.

Consolidating these common package management issues into Proget would streamline the operations and save us a generally big headache on a day to day basis.

The value of the conda index command being automated with new packages (approved) to be used by teams automatically makes a big difference.

On the market there are a couple of other products, but its very difficult to use a tool per language, especially where we have in my team cross-training between languages that they have to use a different tool.

Apologies for a partial rant on this, my last comment would be that we have seen a huge swing towards Python development in the last few years and the tooling in this space is very different to .NET for example (in my view worse) and would be a big string to the bow of Proget if it supported it too.

• inedo-engineer

Thank you very much for the additional insight, it will go a long way in making a business case for investing resources in developing such a new feed type.

This isn't on our short-term roadmap in any case, but we will review in the coming months; hopefully within this time other folks in the community will respond.

• inedo-engineer

Inedo Website HomeSupport HomeCode of ConductForums GuideDocumentation